19 November 2011

The Issue With Knitting...

Everyone thinks you can just complete projects within a day and do not want to pay for the labor/ materials cost.

For example, I have requests for scarves, hats, gloves, mittens, sweaters, etc. While I don't mind making them for close relatives because I know they will appreciate them and they have helped me out with so much, knitting is a small thing in comparison. Other people that I am not related to or very close to requesting multiple hours of knitting- I am not fond of.

I have told many people that I would be more than happy to show them how to knit and help them if they get stuck on a project, but I do not have the time to be their personal knitter. The phrase I hate the most is, "I wish I had the time to do that."

Listen, I work 4 days a week of 10 hour (well 11 with my unpaid lunch) days. Add in there 3-4 hours on the road round trip (possibly more when it starts snowing). All I have to knit on is about a half hour of my lunch, and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday when I am (usually) not working. Odds are that if you work 8 hours a day and live within 30 miles of your home, you have way more possible knitting time than I do.

Just because I like to knit, does not mean  that I do not work, am a shut-in, or some other crazy misconception. Quite frankly, I knit to relax. My favorite saying is, "I knit so I don't kill people." It's funny but true.

Well, enough of my rant.

-C-

No comments:

Post a Comment